Wednesday 4 April 2018

In The Pink

When I was planning my schedule of April days I decided I would give myself a little time off over the Easter weekend.
Thursday was another easy brooch day to mark the date in 1886 when John Pemberton brewed the first batch of the drink which would become known the world over as Coca Cola.

Having taken Friday off it was then onto some heavy construction work on Saturday.
Pink wafer biscuits and icing sugar were pressed into action to help us build our own version of the Eiffel Tower. This was to celebrate the date when after more than 2 years of building work Paris' famous landmark was complete.



Easter Sunday I took myself off for a walk over the bridge to St Mary's church.
As I mentioned a post or two ago I have been researching my family tree.
I decided to start with my dad's family and the earliest relatives I can find are George and Sarah both of whom were born in the late 1790's. 
They had a son George, who in turn had a son named Henry.
Henry had a son name Albert and his son William was my grandad.
I found out that Sarah was buried on 01/04/1838 and so I decided to go and leave some flowers for her. The church which stands today is not the one she would have known as that one fell into disrepair.
It would seem so many of my relatives lived and worked in this area of the city and so by leaving the flowers I wasn't only remembering Sarah but all those whose lives I am slowly uncovering.


If you read yesterday's post about the chocolate mousse then you'll know that we had my family over on Monday for food and games.
With G's help I was able to recreate the Pinterest plastic umbrella and pom pom idea as a little April showers display above the buffet lunch I had set out.
I was really pleased with the way it turned out.


6 comments:

  1. I love all your takes on the special days, esp the Waiferl Tower! The umbrella decoration is really pretty! Oooh, spying the houses through your window, does your house look like that? I'm v jealous if so-my ideal house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Eiffel Tower. You're lucky that you've managed to trace your ancestors close to where you live now, it will make the research so much easier. My dad's family are from Leeds and the surrounding area but my mum's family was scattered all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pompom umbrella idea. D and I met whilst researching our family tree I have done any genealogy for years now but hope to get back into it at some point as I did find interesting and D has a wealth of knowledge of where to look for things when you get stuck. It was a lovely gesture to leave flowers not only for Sarah but for all your relatives from the area. Ours are a bit spread out in Cornwall, Devon and up to Northumberland, Scotland and the North East so how I ended up being born in London was always a mystery but I more or less have the story of how all that came about. I just need to write it all up so that my kids know too.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. the april showers umbrella idea is inspired! I love how it looks!

    Have to admit I got a bit teary with the roses and church photo and why you left them there. Such a beautiful thing to have done.

    Just saw the photo of your sister in the previous post! Looks like a very happy and chocolatey Easter was celebrated at yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on your ancestry research.

    Love your wafer Eiffel Tower!
    Love your April Showers display!

    Have a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so creative Lisa! The wafer Eiffel Tower is great and your April showers display too. My sister is researching our family tree. We also have Sarah, George Henry and Alberts!!! I think the names are just as popular today as they were back then. x

    ReplyDelete