Monday 11 September 2017

Friday to Monday

After a long first week (although it was actually only 4 days worth) of getting back into the school routine, Friday night rolled around and I just didn't have the energy to blog.
Couple that with hardly going near the laptop over the weekend and the result is a catch up post today.

So let's rewind to Friday when Alecia Beth Moore had her birthday.
Who? I hear you say.
She is more commonly known by the name P!nk.
A glass of rosé would have gone down well but as I had to collect S from her dance class I made do with a different kind of pink fizz and had a glass of raspberry lemonade instead.
It was delicious and something I would definitely buy again.



I had been looking forward to Teddy Bear day since the start of the month because I couldn't wait to make these super cute pancakes for Saturday morning breakfast.




The national Heritage Open Days event was on over the weekend and luckily for us there was a very local event to pop along to.


There is a new theatre opening in our city next year and their very first production is to be a play all about Southampton's link to the Spitfire. Members of the cast were at the event recreating a little snippet of the story, once the tickets go on sale G and I will be booking to go along to see this slice of local history.


Walking back home I popped into one of the charity shops and found these badges for 50p.
You just know what was written on the one which is missing don't you!
How perfect would they have been for Patrick Swayze's birthday? 
Oh well at least I'll have them for next year.


Sunday was Grandparents day and so I spent a little time thinking about each of mine in turn.

This is a photo of my mum's dad (sitting) and my dad's dad (standing) on my parents wedding day, making the date this photo was taken 29th July 1967.
I have very fond memories from when I was 16 and 17 going to the library with my maternal grandad each Monday on my day off from work. He passed away a couple of years later and so I'm so glad to have shared those times with him.

My paternal grandad we called Grandad Poochie. 
I don't remember why we called him that though!
I know he had a dog and maybe it was called Poochie. 
I was born in the front bedroom of his house as my parents lived with him for the first couple of years of their marriage. He lived near to the senior school I one day hoped to go to and so I would be able to go and visit him at lunchtimes. 
It wasn't to be as he died when I was in the first year of junior school. 
I can still so clearly remember my dad telling us that grandad had died. It was the first time I ever saw my dad cry.


Ok let's lighten the mood a bit and talk about a rom com G and I watched.
Made in 2009 New in Town stars Renée Zellwegger and Harry Connick Jr. She is a business executive relocated to sub zero Minnesota from sunny Miami to close down a food factory. He is the local union rep. They start off by bickering and then fall for each other. No huge surprises for how things turn out!
It's a good Sunday afternoon type of movie which is exactly when we watched it.
If I was being very strict about these things we should have actually seen it today as 11th September is Mr Connick Jr's birthday but as G is on a late shift today viewing it together wouldn't have been possible.


3 comments:

  1. A lovely catch up post. I enjoyed hearing about your granddads. I think grandparents can be very special people in your life and I was lucky to have my paternal grandparents until I was 16 (they died within four months of each other). I was much younger when my mum's parents died, though I can still remember being told about it as clear as day and I always felt very close to my nana as we shared the same birthday. I like the sound of that raspberry lemonade and your teddy bear pancakes look scrummy. We watched Bridget Jones' Baby a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't concentrate on it as I was too preoccupied looking how different Renee Zellwegger looks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. What a lovely carpet hug and so full of coincidences. Your lemonade is made only 4 or 5 miles from me by the Belvoir Estates. Belvoir Castke is a very prominent landmark on the horizon whenever we head northeast from here. It is a beautiful place to explore.
    And then there was your parents wedding day. DH and I were married just a month later on 26 August 1967 and of course celebrated our golden wedding only last month. I remember my mum in laws rooms were decorated just like in the picture.
    It has been manic around here over the holidays, so never did get to follow along with you, but have enjoyed your little snippets of history and trivia it has made some lovely reading each morning. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a very nice catch up post.
    It was great to see the photographs and read about your granddads. I have fond memories of my Grandparents and a few photographs too, which I'm so pleased to have. Grandparents can be very special people in our lives ...

    Happy mid-week wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete