Monday 16 January 2012

HolyRood

One of the things I wanted to do this year was to get back into the habit of taking a camera out with me each time I go out. Mid way through last year my little compact camera developed a memory card fault and I'm ashamed to say I haven't got it sorted out as yet. It's something I must do.
Anyway today was my (hopefully) last appointment with the chiropractor and as I was charging out the door I remembered to pop into my bag G's new camera. I'm so glad I did as I spotted these sculptures on the edge of an inner City housing estate.

This is a Sailor's Angel to signify the ancient tradition of placing models of ships inside churches.




There are three large brick planters depicting men at work in the City's docks


This chap is a Titanic Stevedore in remembrance of out City's connection with the world famous liner.



I've looked them up on the City's website since coming home and found there are a couple of others which I shall investigate next time I'm in town.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to look out for these next time I'm in town. I hope your back is a little bit better now!

    Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling a lot better. You are our roving reporter in Southampton! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never go out without my camera, I can't live without it, hehe!

    Good to hear your back in getting better. Thise sculptures are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing what you see around town if you look carefully!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since I started blogging I try to remember to take my camera with me.Interesting images you have captured today Lisa.Sometimes we are in such a hurry,we don't always see what's around us. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some pretty corners in your town!
    I hope you're feeling a lot better now, take care!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the angel. I didn't know about putting model ships in Churches
    Back in the land of Blog now after a few blips. Hope we meet for real this year !
    ( I'm going to carry my small camera now as you've inspired me )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh - I wonder where you found them - they are wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the brick planters, very clever with the pictures on them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Lisa

    How good to hear that you are getting well.

    I just love these clever sculptures, especially the Sailor's Angel. It is still very common here to find model ships in churches. A tradition that no doubt has given great comfort to families while their men were away at sea.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete